The first congregation of the Church of Christ in McKenzie was started in 1889 and a meetinghouse was erected. This building was occupied by the McKenzie Steam Laundry. This congregation was later disbanded and no congregation was in McKenzie until 1929.
In April of 1929 Brother and Sister J.L. Wilson, Brother and Sister W.E. Harris, Brother and Sister J.R. Downey, Brother Bert Cagle, Brother William Winston, Brother David Stewart and Robin and Fannie Wilson met in a house with Brother Alonzo Williams, then located with the church in Martin, to see if he would help them establish a congregation in McKenzie. After canvassing the town, finding eight members. they held their first service in the old theater ( Masonic Building ). The date was April 7. 1929 and there were 21 present.
Those who preached during the first hard years were Brothers Hassess, Morgan, Chunn, Smith, Overby, Harper, Pittman, Lannon, Doran, Ealon, V Wilson and Alonzo Williams. The church remained in the old theater for the next 10 ½ years. In 1939 the McKenzie congregation bought the property of the Christian Church. With some repairs and the addition of restrooms and a baptistery, their work continued to grow until the membership numbered 160 in 1942, and nine years later stood at around 200.
This building served the needs of the congregation until 1948 when plans were drawn for a new larger building. The Friendship and Oak Hill congregations near McKenzie had disbanded and most of the members were already identified with the McKenzie congregation. Both meetinghouses were sold and the proceeds were contributed to our “building fund”. The house on the lot was also sold, removed to clear the lot, and with a sizeable fund accumulated, and our building was soon underway.
In 1962, due to cramped conditions, the elders purchased lots in North Highland Drive and started planning for a new spacious building with adequate parking space. This building became a reality June 13, 1965. As the congregation continued to grow, additional classrooms and a fellowship hall were added.
Other ministers of the McKenzie congregation were Reginald Guinn. J.E. Williams, Joe Clary, Kenneth Edwards, Andy Kizer, David Johnson, E.C. Meadows, Keith Jones, David Lawrence, Patrick Forgy, and Jarrod Bailey. The present ministers are Jim Roberts, and John Forgy.
The congregation has continued to grow both spiritually and numerically since that time. Elders of the congregation are Randy Delaney, Stephen Edwards, Randy McCadams, Jerry Hudson, Darrell Pinson, Keith Priestley, and Jeff Whitworth.
Deacons who serve are Beau Atkins, Bruce Batton, Chad Batton, Bill Brown, Kelly Colvett, Dwayne Delaney, Dennis Epperson, Patrick Forgy, Jack Holland, Josh Kee, Jimmy King, Doug Maddox, Bill Mayberry, James Ruffell, Brian Sanders, Jackie Scott, Chuck Sisson, and Josh Walker